Health Insurance Offers from 1st Jan 2014
Current Special Offers on Private Health Insurance – Summary
- ½ price kids @ €131 each on 4 plans from 28th Dec next. Remember split cover! (One Plan Family, Parent & Kids Excess, Nurses Plan Select & Teachers Plan Select)
- we recommend the Parent & Kids Excess as this covers public and private hospitals (€75 excess on all admissions to private hospitals)
- Members should consider splitting their cover, i.e. select this option for the children and leave adult dependents on possibly higher levels of cover.
- VHI launched new ‘Excess’ based versions of Health Plus Extra (B Options), Health Plus Excess (B Excess), Health Plus Choice (Plan C), Health Plus Premium (Plan D) & Health Plus Platinum (Plan E) (available from 15/12/13)
- these are similar to the higher priced plans but include additional excesses for private hospital claims in return for a lower premium.
Other benefits have been reduced as well. Prices are;
- Health Extra is similar to Health Plus Extra but carries a €125 excess for private hospital admissions. It costs €1,988 vs €2,096 which is a saving of c. €108 per adult.
- Health Platinum is similar to Health Plus Platinum but carries a €125 excess for private hospital admissions. It costs €4,363 vs €4,720 which is a saving of c. €357 per adult.
- Health Premium is similar to Health Plus Premium but carries a €125 excess for private hospital admissions. It costs €3,263 vs €3,013 which is a saving of c.€250 per adult.
- Health Choice is similar to Health Plus Choice but carries a €125 excess for private hospital admissions. It costs€2,425 vs €2,631 which is a saving of €206 per person
- Health Plus Excess 250 is similar to Health Plus Excess but the excess for private hospital admissions increases from €75 to either €150 for day case procedures and €250 per private hospital admissions. It costs €1,300 vs €1,521 which is a saving of €221 per adult.
Whilst cost savings are welcome, we don’t recommend these lower cost options due to the new excesses and reduced benefits. Consumers also need to be mindful of the ‘Upgrade Rule’ if they increase their benefits again at a subsequent renewal.
- Health Value plan will be reduced by 8.4% from 1st Jan 14 (€928 reduced to €850 per adult)
- This plan covers public and private hospitals but includes a €125 excess on private hospital admissions (first 5 nights of each admission)
- Discounted ‘Kids’ price on Family Focus @ €150 per child (for children aged 5-17) (this plan covers most hospitals but also includes 3 GP visits per child at €30 each – no excess)
- free cover for children under 3 on their Better plan or higher (continuous offer)
- ½ price offer for all children aged 3 joining or renewing from 31st Dec 13 on Better Plan or higher (continuous offer)
- 1 month free for all new members joining Glo on any plan from 30/12/13 to 31/1/14
- 10% discount offer for existing Glo customers who renew their policy (on any plan) from 31/12/13 to 28/2/14.
- launching multiple new plans through Dec and Jan. Essential Connect Family was launched on 22nd Dec and covers both public and private hospitals for €800 per adult and €150 per child / student. The latter price will be particularly attractive for those who want to split their cover and stay with Laya. Please note that a €300 excess applies per policy on the first private hospital admission.
- Discounted offer for Kids on Essential Connect Family at €150 from 22nd Dec 13
- new corporate plan Total Health Complete launching on 1/1/14. This plan will cost €970 per adult and €292 per child and covers all public and private hospitals (excesses of €50 - €200 apply to each private hospital admission). A similar corporate plan Connect Choice will launch on 31/12/13 and will cost €1,105 per adult and €317 per child.
- new range of 21 Flex & Advantage plans from 22/12/13. These plans offer a range of options to consumers where they can choose between selected hospitals and higher excess to vary their cost. Prices and T&C’s vary, so consumers must ensure that any plan selected meets their exact requirements.
Please note that an additional cost of 3% applies to all Laya plans unless your premium is paid in full up-front. This has not been factored into the above rates.
All prices quoted are net of tax relief at source and are correct as of 12/5/14 as per www.hia.ie (Health Insurance Authority). However, prices and benefits are subject to change and consumers should confirm all details directly with the insurer in question.